Friday, April 08, 2005

 

Play Day

This morning I had the nicest time with a group of 4th graders at an elementary school in Columbia, PA. They were having a history day with lots of local demonstrators. I was the quilt lady. I brought my round floor hoop with a quilt sandwich of muslin and Hobbs 80/20. I showed them some antique quilt tops, some handquilted quilts I had made (those are few and far between!), and some machine quilted quilts. Then we learned to quilt at the frame. There were threads and needles going every which way. But they were so excited to try it. We finished up by taking fabric markers and making designs on muslin squares ironed on freezer paper. One of the teachers is going to put the blocks together.

Every time I work with this age group, it is so much fun. The world is so new to them and they are excited to try things. Somewhere between 4th grade and adulthood, that adventuresome spirit is easily lost. The trick is to hang on to it somehow. I think part of that is making time for yourself...where you don't think about the dirty house, laundry, or other chores...and give yourself the time to create just for "you".

Comments:
This is great! Kids can be so much fun, and they take such spontaneous joy when they create. Jen
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf