Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Discipline

Reading everyone else's resolutions for the year, leaves me compelled to leave my own right here on this here blog.

My resolution for this year is to try to be more disciplined.

The first area of my new found discipline will be to lose weight. (I think everyone has this one on their list.) After going through a host of eating issues in my early 20's and being fashionably emaciated for years, slowly but surely the weight has crept on. I cannot blame it any longer on having a baby, as Max is now 15. (It was always a great excuse, too.) I will try to accomplish this by limiting my intake. This, I am finding, is a challenge. I love to cook and I love to eat more. In the past few years, though, I have noticed that I'm sluggish and lacking energy. I have to believe that the extra love handles, thigh handles, butt...well you get the idea...is much to blame for my current condition.

The second area I want to work on is discipline at work. I work with my husband, and even though we had 2 other employees besides him and me, I have been getting sucked more and more into the business, in addition to dealing with the house, kids, homework, oh, and my businesses of teaching, appraising, and creating. This past year I have been going out on more sales calls and producing, in addition to the accounting and tax stuff. So we hired a new guy to help. He started yesterday. So now we have 3 employees and hopefully can get them to the level where they can handle things so that I can concentrate more on my businesses. Hey we might even get a vacation that doesn't have to involve just a Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday.

The third (if you've made it this far, you should be sainted) area of discipline will be my quilt businesses. I'm heading back to Paducah this spring for more classes in preparation to hopefully sit for my AQS Certification exam some year. I've been studying a lot on my own and taking every opportunity to do appraisals. I have an exciting opportunity coming up on April 1, where I'll be assisting Trish Herr and Dawn Heefner with a Quilt Conservation day at the Textile Museum. I am really looking forward to it...a fabulous opportunity to observe two of the best textile historians in the biz.

I also want to develop some works to enter into shows. I didn't enter anything last year and it really bothered me.

My plan to accomplish #2 & 3 (because they are closely related) is to start by devoting half days to the TV biz and the Quilt biz. Hopefully, this will at least get the ball rolling and get me in the groove of cleanly switching gears.

So, that's it, I've said it...now to see if I can do it!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf