Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

Getting it Together

.
One part of the process I wish I could do differently: Pin basting for quilting.
I just haven't found a better way than to do it on our deck.

First, you masking-tape the backing "wrong side up" to the deck. Then lay the batting on top. Then lay the quilt top "right side up" on top. Starting in the center, you start safety pinning every few inches. The basting process for this quilt took 2 1/2 hours and hundreds of safety pins...every pin I had!

Well it's back to the show in Lancaster for today and tomorrow, and then to begin quilting. Might even get some in tonight though.

Comments:
I still pin baste my large quilts too only I have to get permission to use the gym floor after hours at the local elementary sschool - there is no place on the floor in my house big enough!
 
I have a lot of trouble for my quits to baste them... I live on a sailboat, 40 foot long...!
Your quilts are wonderful,
Frederique
 
Great quilt! I've started spray basting my quilts with 505 - LOADS easier than pinning and quicker, too. I don't know about the longevity of the "stick", but seems to work for at least a couple of weeks for me.
 
It's nice to know I'm not alone. I thought maybe I just wasn't getting it, but there just doesn't seem to be any other way!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf