Friday, May 04, 2007

 

Now I Understand the Attraction

First, I must confess that I had no real desire to go to Disney World. The only reason I did was because my son was playing in the orchestra there (more on that fantastic business model later), the trip was priced right, and my other son who is autistic was thrilled at the prospect of going to Disney.

However, after walking around four parks in four days in 90 degree heat, I now understand the general population's attraction to Disney World.

The positives:
1. There is a lot to do that is all included in the ticket price.
2. It is well staffed with friendly people. I did not encounter one surly "cast member"
3. It is clean
4. It is the most handicapped accessible park I have ever been in. All four parks were like that.
5. The hotel was just fine (All Star Music Resort)
6. The transportation to and from the parks worked well.
7. They had a person who was a Johnny Depp look alike dressed as Cap'n Jack Sparrow (my husband had to drag me away).
8. They had the most photogenic gorillas I have ever seen.

The negatives (but not totally unexpected or annoying)
1. Every ride exits through a gift shop.
2. Food/drinks are expensive. We had some meal vouchers which helped. But being from Berks County, we think everything is expensive.
3. They tell me that it wasn't that crowded. I would not want to be there on peak season.
4. We waited in many lines. One was 70 minutes. Most were 30 minutes. We did develop a strategy through. Get a Fast Pass (a voucher with a return time), go wait in line for a different attraction, then go back with the Fast Pass.

Disney is a first class operation. I was impressed, and I can see why some folks go back multiple times. But I don't plan to any time soon. I have too many other things I haven't seen (Rockies, Grand Canyon, Arizona, Mexico, England & Wales, and on and on).

Now for the terrific business model..... Disney offers high school music groups the "opportunity" to perform there. First, they have to try out by sending a tape of the group. Then (if selected), they pay to come down, stay at a Disney Resort, buy Disney food and provide "Disney" entertainment to Disney guests. Now, Now, dear readers, before I get comments saying that I am a mean, jaded old bag... It was a wonderful moment seeing our school groups performing there and one that I will never forget. But you gotta admit, the model that Disney uses is a really good one. You're bound to get people to Disney who probably would not have gone there, but go because their child is performing. And there were lots of groups of school kids there. In fact a large portion of All Star Music Resort appeared to be full of performers, chaparones, and parents.

But all in all, it was a great trip and one that I would recommend.

Now I'm digging out of work...and laundry. And desperately trying to sew some.

Comments:
I'm randoming through the Artful Quilter's Webring. For Disney, did you have to pay admission as well? That's a hefty price.

Being from Florida, I've visited Disney at least five times. The price steadily goes up, up, and up. Next visit will be when my kid (and her future siblings) is/are old enough. One time. :)

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf