Wednesday, August 22, 2007

 

Excuses Excuses

I am (or rather the computer is) recovering from a complete computer failure. I ended up needing to take it in to get completely wiped out and start fresh. I've lost files in the process, had to reinstall all of my programs (EQ, Artista, Quickbooks, Photoshop, and the list goes on). Two things that can really make me nuts...broken computers and broken cars. I am a compulsive "fixer" and the more I try to "fix"...the worse it becomes.

However...I did finally get to do some sewing... And then the sewing machine broke! What are the odds of that? Okay...three things that make me nuts...broken computers, cars AND sewing machines. So I took it in for repair and just got it back. Ugh! Of course when I took it in, my dealer was trying to sell me another machine. No thanks. I'm holding out for when the sewing machine manufacturers wake up and design a machine for quilters like me. I don't want a long arm. Don't have room. Don't like the feeling. Need to touch the fabric when I machine quilt. And quilt sitting down at a nice sized table that supports the quilt. Here are the specs of the sewing machine I think every quilter would want....

1. It must have at least 18" in length in the harp area (under the arm)
2. It must have at least 9" of height from the bed to the underside of the harp.
3. Automatic thread cutter
4. Feed dog drop capability
5. High speed (at least 1000 stitches per min.)
6. It must fit into a decent sized sewing table (like my Horn MultiLift)
7. It needs to have straight stitch, zig zag, and a buttonhole stitch (blanket)
8. Manual thread tension

No embroidery, no other fancy stuff, this is all I need. I really believe that every quilter would want one of these. I told that to the dealer and was told that something might be in the works ("Wouldn't it be nice for embroidery")...I don't want embroidery. That would take such a machine from around $2K (the price it SHOULD be) to (I figure)about $7K. Unbelievable. I really don't think such a machine would be that difficult. But I guess I was out when the R&D people at the sewing machine companies were making decisions. So I'll sit tight and wait. No more sewing machines till they make my dream machine.

Next order of business is to get Photoshop working on this computer so I can post pics again.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf